Article Text

PDF
Metaldehyde intoxication in a red fox (Vulpes vulpes)
  1. Mikel Sabater1,
  2. Marisa Pérez2 and
  3. Daniel Calvo Carrasco1
  1. 1Department of Exotics, Great Western Exotics, Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
  2. 2Oftalmovet Valencia, Valencia, Spain
  1. Correspondence to
    Mikel Sabater, e-mail: exoticsvet{at}gmail.com

Abstract

Metaldehyde toxicity has been commonly reported in different species, including dogs, cats, horses, livestock and wildlife, but the authors are not aware of previously described cases in red foxes. A juvenile red fox (Vulpes vulpes) intoxicated with metaldehyde was presented and successfully treated, allowing it to be released back into the wild. Clinical signs, diagnostic test results, treatment and evolution for this case are described and a review made about metaldehyde intoxication. Red foxes are abundant native species in the UK and metaldehyde is still used as a mollusc control measure. This case report is written to provide more information about metaldehyde intoxication in this species.

  • Red fox
  • Metaldehyde
  • Intoxication
  • Seizures
  • Wildlife
  • Emergency medicine

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.