This report documents a case of intoxication and subsequent death following ingestion of Amanita phalloides occurring in a 4-month-old cocker spaniel. The patient presented for investigation of acute vomiting, icterus and progressive obtundation. Clinical history identified exposure and ingestion of mushrooms on the day of presentation. Serum biochemistry revealed marked hypoglycaemia, hyperbilirubinaemia, increased serum alanine transferase and alkaline phosphatase activity. Within 24 hours, the patient’s mentation worsened and anuria was identified. Serial biochemistry analysis revealed worsening of hepatic parameters and impaired renal function. Mushrooms provided by the owner were later identified as A phalloides species by a fungal expert. Based on the patient’s clinical presentation and diagnostic investigations, the presumptive diagnosis was acute hepatic and renal failure following mushroom ingestion. Unfortunately, death occurred within 36 hours despite aggressive therapeutic measures.
- mycotoxins - fungal toxins
- acute kidney injury
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Contributors CA wrote the manuscript and assisted with case management.
Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests None declared.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
Data availability statement All data relevant to the study are included in the article.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.